End of school ceremony and opening of winter school in Kunduz, AfghanistanIN AFG
Our 124 students, girls and boys aged 7-15, have passed the end of year exams and my partner on the spot, Zabi Majidi, organized a big end-of-year ceremony. The new Governor came as well as representatives of authorities such as the Ministries of Social Affairs, Education and Economy of Kunduz Province in northern Afghanistan.
21 students were in the sixth and final year of our elementary school. Zabi Majidi provided that these young people continue their studies in public high school.
Of the 20 students who left our school in late 2016 and 2017, 18 are currently attending high school.
As in previous years, at the request of the students and their parents, immediately after the end of year, we opened the winter school until March 15, 2019.
4 teachers will teach English, computer, and other subjects to the 120 students.
We heat 4 classes with wood stoves – it takes 4 tons for 3 months with a cost of USD 600 supported by local donors.
This year, we decided to offer a breakfast to all children, ie. 1 glass of milk and bread. Total cost for the 3 months: USD 2,500.
Our local partners will also finance winter clothes for the children (USD 500) and the salary of 2 of the 4 teachers.
On our side, we finance thanks to you and your faithful support:
– the salaries of the other 2 teachers
– the wages of the 2 guards, one for daytime and one for the night. They are present at the main entrance to the compound each one during 12 hours and are provided with a Kalashnikov!
– the salary of a woman to clean the premises
– electricity at USD 100, – per month
– school material for students – cost USD 100
– a new water tank on the roof, the old one being damaged
– the plastic to put on the windows to better keep the heat.
With my thanks for your loyal and precious support!